6 June 2012

Gold: Power and Allure

Last week I went to the private view of an exhibition I have been eagerly awaiting for many months 
This astonishing exhibition at The Goldsmiths' Company showcases the story of gold in Britain, with treasures dating back as far as 2,500 BC. There is so much to see and in my case, gawp at, but with free admission there's no pressure to take it all in at once.
The entrance at exhibition were quite literally paved in gold for the private view.
They really knew what they were doing back in the day, and I was amazed at how contemporary some of the oldest pieces on display looked. Topshop, eat your heart out:
 
Loved the beautiful Torcs, or, 'neck-rings' as Wikipedia so elegantly describes them. 
 
Happily for me, there were so many amazing rings... This one was a definite favourite. I wish I could remember more facts and interesting things to relay here, but I was entirely bowled over by the exhibition. And of course, that had nothing to do with sisterly pride...
Well done, George